Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

In one of my first ever blog posts I featured a citrus curd tart which was essentially a posh name for lemon meringue pie. However in true 'newbie blogger' style I blabbered on a bit about how delicious it was and how much I loved it and I never even included the recipe for it. However a year down the line I have improved slightly, I still blabber on but I always include the recipe.....

This is one of my favourite desserts to bring to someones house as they look so impressive when really they are so simple. Easy to throw together especially if you have your pastry already made and chilling and if you have a pot of homemade lemon curd in the fridge.

I always use a Jamie Oliver recipe for sweet shortcrust pastry and here is an earlier blogpost of mine that features it;  http://paulaskitchentable.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweet-tooth.html

This is the lemon curd that I love to make and more importantly love to eat!; http://paulaskitchentable.blogspot.com/2011/06/taste-of-summer-lemon-curd.html

To make the minature tarts simply line a 12 cup fairy bun tray with little circles of pastry and bake blind in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.

Once cool spoon on two teaspoons of lemon curd and either pipe or spoon on the meringue topping. I have had a few unsuccessful tart incidences, normally involving weeping meringues (google it, not pleasant!) but this one seems to be fail safe.

Meringue topping

4 large egg whites
250g caster sugar
2tsp cornflour
1tsp white wine vinegar
1/4tsp vanilla extract

Whisk the egg whites till stiff then add in a tablespoon of sugar at a time whilst whisking
Whisk until very stiff then fold in remaining ingredients with a spatula

I used a Wilton 22 nozzle to pipe the meringue onto the tarts and I was very pleased with the effect it gave. Place into a 180 degree oven and keep a close eye on them as within a few short minutes you will have beautiful professional looking tarts ready to be devoured. If you try these out would love to hear back from you, I get such a thrill when someone tells me they have baked/cooked something from the blog. Thanks for reading folks, up next delicious Irish spring lamb!

1 comment:

  1. Paula they look yum and very cute . I'm not fond of lemon but these look to good not to try :)

    ReplyDelete